Table of Contents
Kampot is a small province in the southern part of Cambodia. This place is famous for its pepper plantations, but there is another treasure in the region that often goes unnoticed – its fruits. Besides from a good city to live, Kampot’s fertile land, tropical climate, and abundant water supply create the perfect conditions for growing some of the most delicious and unique fruits in the world.
In this blog, we will explore the most popular Kampot fruit, their health benefits, and how people eat and serve these fruits.
10 Best Kampot Fruit You Must Try in Town
Durian is a Kampot fruit that most local people love. It has a distinctive smell, often described as rotten eggs, which can be off-putting to some. However, those who love durian consider it the king of fruits. The flesh is creamy and custardy, with a sweet flavor that is pretty similar to vanilla ice cream.
Many people, locally and internationally, regard Kampot durian as the best variety of durian because of several factors. Here are some reasons why:
- Unique taste: Kampot durian has a distinctive and delicious taste that sets it apart from other varieties of durian. Its flesh is creamy and sweet, with hints of almond and vanilla flavors.
- Climate and soil: The tropical climate and soil conditions in Kampot, Cambodia, are ideal for growing high-quality durian. The region’s abundant rainfall, sunny weather, and fertile soil create optimal conditions for durian trees to flourish.
- Organic farming: Many Kampot durian farmers practice organic farming methods, which means they don’t use any chemical fertilizers or pesticides on the durian trees. This allows you to have a purer and more natural flavor profile of Kampot Durian.
- Geographical indication (GI) certification: Kampot Durian has been granted a Geographical Indication (GI) certification by the Cambodian government. This means that only durian grown in the Kampot region can be labeled as “Kampot Durian.” Such certification ensures that consumers are getting a genuine and high-quality product.
- Limited availability: Another interesting fact about Kampot Durian is that it’s only available for a short season, usually from May to July. This factor makes Kampot durian more exclusive and even more sought-after by durian lovers.
Mangosteen is a tropical Kampot fruit that you should try when visiting Kampot. It is a well-known fruit for its sweet and tangy taste. This fruit has a high nutritional value, is low in calories, is high in fiber, and contains antioxidants that can help protect against many diseases.
Most locals enjoy eating the Kampot mangosteen fresh, but you may also see them as jams, jellies, and other sweet treats. You can find Kampot mangosteen in the Kampot market and many other places around Cambodia. Their price is very affordable.
Here you are learning about another delicious Kampot fruit, the rambutan. It is a local Kampot fruit with a red, spiky outer skin and sweet, juicy flesh inside. You can try the fresh rambutan in Kampot, or you can also enjoy it as dessert, jams, and other sweet snacks.
The rambutan has various nutrients, such as vitamins C and A, as well as antioxidants, which are relatively beneficial for your health.
Pineapple is a tropical fruit that is high in vitamin C, manganese, and bromelain, an enzyme that can aid in digestion. The ripe pineapple has a yellow color with a sweet and tangy flavor, and you’ll enjoy eating it fresh, especially in the hot summer season.
Different from many other fruits, pineapple is also used to cook in some Khmer food to get its sour, sweet flavor, particularly in Kampot’s famous seafood dish. Moreover, it’s also made into delicious juices, smoothies, and other beverages.
Dragon fruit, also known as pitaya, is a low-calorie fruit that is rich in vitamins C and B, as well as antioxidants. You will pleasantly enjoy the delicious flesh of Kampot dragonfruit, which has a texture akin to kiwi fruit. You may notice that people eat fresh Kampot dragonfruit, but you can still find it in smoothies, juices, and other beverages.
Like many other Kampot fruits, dragon fruit is everywhere in Kampot markets for a very reasonable price. So, don’t forget to stop by the Kampot market and look out for the tasty dragon fruit there.
Mango is a tropical fruit that is rich in vitamins A and C, as well as fiber and antioxidants. The flesh is sweet and juicy, with a unique flavor that is pretty similar to a mix of pineapple and peach. Many people love eating fresh mango. However, you can try mango as desserts, jams, and other sweet snacks too.
If you’re someone who likes drinking coconut juice, Kampot is the right place for you. That’s because Kampot is a province that has the best coconut in the country. Many locals and tourists enjoy drinking Kampot coconut juice. It’s uniquely tasty and can refresh your mood after long travels.
For locals, coconut is also a versatile fruit that, amazingly, can be used in many different ways in Kampot. The flesh can be eaten fresh or used in cooking, and the water is a refreshing drink that is rich in electrolytes. Besides, coconut milk is a main ingredient used in many of Khmer’s favorite cuisines, such as curries, soups, and other savory dishes.
Jackfruit is another tasty fruit in Kampot that you can ripe or unripe. When unripe, it has a starchy texture. Some cooks use this fruit as a meat substitute in vegetarian dishes. When ripe, you will enjoy its sweet flavor and good smell. Locals in Kampot also make jackfruit jam to treat it as their snack, which you must try. Moreover, jackfruit is also available in desserts to make them more flavorful.
Custard apple, also known as a sugar apple or locally called “Teab,” is a popular fruit in Kampot, Cambodia. It is a seasonal fruit that is available from August to November. You can find them in local markets such as Kampot Market and street vendors.
The fruit has a green, scaly exterior with creamy white, sweet, and fragrant flesh inside that contains black seeds. The flesh has a texture similar to custard, hence the name “custard apple.” People love to eat them fresh, though you can see them as desserts like smoothies, ice cream, and shakes.
If you’re in Kampot during the season, be sure to try the delicious and creamy custard apple!
Bananas are a commonly popular fruit in Kampot, and they are available in many different varieties, such as plantain and cavendish. Each of them is rich in potassium, fiber, and vitamin C. On top of that, people can eat them as snacks, desserts, and sweet snacks.
These are just a few of the many delicious and nutritious fruits that can are famous in Kampot. Each fruit has its own unique flavor and health benefits. Also, they are all a testament to the region’s fertile land and tropical climate.
Reasons you should try Kampot Fruit
- Unique taste: Kampot fruits are famous for their delicious flavor. This is a result of the fertile soil and tropical climate in Kampot. Farmers grow Kampot fruits organically without using unsafe chemicals and pesticides.
- Freshness: Farmers grow Kampot’s fruits seasonally and carefully. They pick those fruits at the peak of ripeness, so you can trust that they will be both fresh and flavorful when you eat them.
- Health benefits: Many of Kampot’s fruits are high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. These characters offer numerous health benefits.
- Sustainability: While you get to enjoy Kampot fruits, you are also supporting local farmers and helping to promote sustainable agriculture practices. The natural resources of the area will be preserved, and the ecosystem will continue to thrive for future generations.
Overall, trying Kampot’s fruits can be a delicious and healthy way to experience the unique flavors and culture of this beautiful region.